Western MT Area Health Education Center
Skaggs Building - Room 173
Missoula, MT 59812
Health Science Teacher Training
MONTANA HEALTH SCIENCE TEACHER TRAINING GOES DIGITAL!
You have several options to offer a Health Science program in your school:
- Teacher Training for science and/or health enhancement teachers;
- Project Lead the Way (PLTW) Biomedical Science program;
- MT Digital Academy option-“Introduction to Health Careers” course
In Montana, all health science teachers participate in a one week training program. Beginning August, 2016, health science and health enhancement teachers with a background in anatomy and physiology can take the course online through the Office of Public Instrcution Teacher Learning Hub.
Health Science is a Career and Technical Education program that will introduce your students to a variety of careers in the health care industry. It also prepares students with the foundation skills necessary to successfully matriculate to a post-secondary health professions program.
80 OPI Renewal Units will be awarded at the end of the course - OR - In lieu of RUs, 2 Graduate credits will be offered through U of M for a slight fee.
- This course is designed for Secondary Science or health enhancement teachers that have a collegiate background in anatomy and physiology or Human Biology
- All curriculum materials will be provided free of charge.
- During this course, teachers will be asked to accomplish a job shadowing experience at a local medical facility to gain an understanding of the healthcare system. (To be explained during the course)
- Upon completion of the course and job shadow, teachers can apply for a Class 4A Endorsement in Health Science from the Office of Public Instruction. The licensure fee is not part of this online training however; the fee will be pro-rated for this endorsement to expire with your Class 1 or 2 licenses.
The teacher will be given opportunity to:
- Learn about the range of health care careers available.
- Learn to effectively advise students in healthcare career options.
- Demonstrate understanding of the National Consortium of Health Science Standards and Accountability Criteria including areas of heath careers, communication, legal and medical ethics, wellness, teamwork, human growth and development, mental health, nutrition, infection control, and vital signs
- Participate in various learning activities using Common Core Standards.
- Describe, analyze, and evaluate various teaching methods/techniques and curricula for health science education.
To Register for the Course:
- Go to the Teacher Learning Hub (www.opi.mt.gov/learninghub)
- Log in or create an account using the link in the upper right corner
- You will receive a confirmation email, be sure to check your junk mail
- If your email server blocked the confirmation email please contact Jessica (firstname.lastname@example.org) to manually confirm your account
- Once logged in you can register for the course
- From the homepage click Facilitated Modules
- Scroll down and click on the Career and Technical Education category
- Click the course name to register
- Be sure to check and follow all due dates listed within the course
- You can see and access the course(s) you are enrolled in on the homepage in 2 places: under My Courses on the left; scroll to the bottom of the page
If you would like additional information about Teacher Training, Project Lead the Way, or The Montana Digital Academy, please feel free to contact me at the phone number or email address below.
Health Science Specialist, Office of Public Instruction
(406) 994-6986 work
(406) 431-6317 cell
Teachers attending Health Science Teacher Training experiment with Anatomy in Clay Learning System © models to learn about skeletal and muscular system instruction.