Western MT Area Health Education Center
Missoula College FMR/AHEC
1205 East Broadway Street
Missoula, MT 59802
R.E.A.C.H. - Research and Explore Awesome Careers in Healthcare
The purpose of R.E.A.C.H is to provide Montana high school students a chance to learn about careers within the healthcare field by offering them an opportunity to explore and experience various healthcare fields by offering them an opportunity to explore and experience various healthcare careers. R.E.A.C.H is a one-day program, taking place at a local healthcare facility that provides high school students the opportunity to explore the healthcare field through a variety of hands-on stations and activities.
Possible station topics in the Research and Explore Awesome Careers in Healthcare (R.E.A.C.H) Program:
- Lab: Students learn how to draw blood, test for cholesterol, CBC and thyroid issues, how to use the machines, and what it takes to be a phlebotomist.
- Emergency Room: Students learn gloving and sterilization procedures, how to conduct EKG tests, splinting and isolette procedures, how the machines work, and how to insert a needle using oranges.
- Radiology: Students X-ray a classmate's hand or ankle and learn how to read the results. They also see the technology involved and take their X-ray home on a CD.
- Physical Therapy: Students are led in a variety of exercises for recovery, including stability ball, weights and bands. They also conduct manual muscle tests.
- Medical Office: Students discover the importance of billing, coding, filing and transcription, as well as check-in and release procedures and how the admittance process works.
- EMT/Life Flight: Students tour an ambulance and life flight helicopter and learn what to do and expect as the first to arrive on a scene. Volunteer students are put in a neck brace and on a backboard and transferred to an ambulance.
- Nursing/Clinic: Students learn how to take a patient's vitals and blood pressure, test for strep throat, and assess symptoms. They also gain an understanding of the role of a clinic nurse.
For more information on the R.E.A.C.H. program, a PowerPoint overview and .PDF brochure are available at the links below.