Student Eligibility Requirements
A successful BHWET candidate is currently enrolled in one of four behavioral health training programs at the University of Montana or Montana State University:
- Masters in Social Work
- Masters in Clinical Mental Health Counseling or School Counseling
- Doctor of Psychology
- Doctor of Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practice
Additional eligibility requirements include:
- Applicants must be in good academic standing within their program. A student’s overall progress toward degree completion will be considered in evaluating applications.
- Applicants from the departments of social work and counseling must be in their second year of study or equivalent.
- Psychology doctoral students (clinical or school) should have completed at least one year of 534 practicum before entering a BHWET placement. This means that Clinical students would be in at least their third year and School doctoral students in their fourth year in their respective training programs when they begin their BHWET placement. Preference will be given to students with advanced standing in their academic program, as defined by meeting program requirements and gaining supervised experience in behavioral health service provision.
- Applicants seeking the degree of doctor of psychiatric mental health nurse practice should be entering their final rotation(s).
- Applicants must submit all application materials (see below) on time to be considered for an interview. Candidates selected for an interview must attend the student interview day in-person unless a compelling reason prevents it. Interviews for the 2024-2025 BHWET cohort will be held at Missoula College on Thursday, March 07th 2024 from 1-4pm.
*Note: applying and interviewing does not guarantee a BHWET site placement. In some cases, site placement interviews will occur in addition to BHWET program interviews. BHWET faculty and staff will facilitate any site interviews.
Additional applicant information:
- BHWET faculty and staff are committed to ensuring that any student meeting our eligibility requirements feels welcome to apply, and we encourage applications from students traditionally underrepresented in professional health care settings. As practicing behavioral health care providers, BHWET students often need to think on their feet and adapt prior knowledge and trainings to new clients and circumstances. Correspondingly, our interview process utilizes a rotating group interview format that is designed to facilitate dynamic interactions among both applicants and faculty. If you are unsure whether this format matches your needs as a BHWET applicant, please don’t hesitate to reach out with any questions. In helping to build Montana’s future health care work force, we maintain commitments to diversity, equity, and inclusion, and this means we will work with you to develop appropriate accommodations that support your application and interview process.
- January 31st, 2024 at 6:00pm (Mountain Time): BHWET faculty presented a virtual public information session which provided program details and explain the application process. A link to the recording from 1/31 can be watched here
- February 1st, 2024: BHWET program application period opens. To apply, see ‘application details’ below.
- Application deadline: February 23rd, 2024
- BHWET interview: Thursday, March 07, 2024. 1-4pm MT. Room 228, Missoula College, Missoula, MT.
Dr. Mary-Ann Sontag, Project Director: email@example.com
Tim Schehl, Program Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org
2024-2025 Application Instructions
To complete your BHWET application, you will need to upload the following items as either PDF or .docx files. See below for additional formatting suggestions.
- Letter of interest
- Attestation of Good Academic Standing(transcripts are not required. A personal statement such as, ‘I am in good academic standing and making satisfactory progress toward degree completion. Sincerely, Mary Smith’ will suffice.)
- 3 Professional References
- Site Placement Preferences (3 Max; click here for current BHWET site placements).
We request you submit all materials as two documents. The first should include your letter of interest, attestation, and site placement preferences. The second should include your CV and professional references. Please label all file uploads accordingly: last name, first name, first three letters of your home department, LOI or CV. (e.g., Smith, Mary, PSY, LOI').
Submit your application here: https://umt.app.box.com/f/dbc691c3a5464bee907beb29f9069296